Thursday, February 28, 2013

Hopkins Prairie Primitive Camp


IMG_0841
Since being in the Ocala Forest, I have gone from enjoying the remoteness of the area along with the benefits of full hook-ups for over two months.    Strangely however, I find myself being enticed more and more each day, further  into the Forest to try primitive boondocking.   
If I had my way, I would pack up and move further  into the Forest  soaking up all the  solitude that I can handle.   I am not so sure, however, that Bob can handle the silence.   Quite frankly, it is even a big surprise to me that I find myself  longing for the experience.   Life is a funny sequence of changes in our lives, various stages and interests, not to mention new discoveries about ourselves that take us by surprise even at this age. 
Today, we loaded up chairs, a few refreshments, binoculars, camera and headed out to Hopkins Prairie.    The rains moved on leaving the air wonderfully clean, fresh  and cool.   Trees are beginning to show  tender green growth and grasses shimmered in the sunlight.  Most of the Forest is just that….Forest…but Hopkins Prairie is a wonderful sea of  grasses.   Things have been very dry  so unfortunately the water level is  low and many of the Great Blue Heron's Sandhill   Cranes  (pst..thanks Judy) had moved on for better pickins’.   We only had this one fellow to entertain us.   It wasn’t too sure about our presence, yet curiosity kept getting the best of it while he did some fishing.
IMG_0850 
The campsites are very clean and private with lots of Palmetto Palms surrounding the sites.  Each campsite has a picnic table and a fire ring.   There is water access in the campground and there are  pit toilets.    Otherwise, nothing but total peace and quiet!   
IMG_0889

We kept watching a log that started with one lonely turtle, then two, next thing we saw, they were lined up, basking in the sunshine. 

IMG_0866
IMG_0870
Prairie grasses and swamp lands are not for everyone, I know, but today they were everything to me.   Maybe, it was the different texture and contrast.  Gosh I love being a snowbird 

12 comments:

  1. Sorry, but I think your sandhill crane is really a great blue heron.

    I do enjoy solitude, but the older I get the more I like electricity. Traveling solo, I want my internet and TV after the sun goes down.

    When I started out on the road, I thought I would do a lot of boondocking. It just didn't turn out that way. Sure took me by surprise. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Judy what would I do without you???? I thought this was the same type of bird as the ones I was mingling with last week...those were Florida Sandhill Cranes but this is a Great Blue Heron huh??? I have the hardest time with knowing all of the fine feathered friends but I do know I love the interaction. Thanks for the education. I can certainly understand wanting the internet and TV if I were traveling solo.

      Delete
  2. That is a gorgeous header picture. This post really struck a chord with me. I am also longing for more solitude and more boondocking. I have been at Salt Springs twice and had never heard of Hopkins Prairie Primitive Camp. It looks fantastic. There are many full timers who boondock most of the time I have found. But they all seem to be out west. Wish there was a guide to boondocking East of the Mississippi. I have found that National Forest Campgrounds are often great boondocking spots until the week-ends when they are over run by the locals and there is no one to enforce any rules. Hope that's not the case here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sherry I have popped into Hopkins Prairie a couple of times and have
      never seen anymore than 3-4 various campers. There is absolutely no
      cell phone nor internet so I would imagine that makes a huge
      difference. Salt Springs has been completely full this season and as
      much as I have enjoyed the laid back atmosphere of the campground and
      full hook-ups, I am beginning to feel like I am living in an apartment
      complex. I have to be realistic about Bob's limitations so for the
      time being I shall just make myself content with day trips further
      into the woods. We have enjoyed many 4WD adventures deep into the
      thicket.

      Delete
  3. Lovely. I would have loved coming to meet you and to have seen your home in the forest, but as you may have figured out, my visit had a sad ending. Not sure when I will get back tomOcala, but I know that someday I will. The forest is so special and yes, the rain was wonderful. I am now on my way home via San Antonio and my daughter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sue, I am so very sorry about your visit having a sad ending. My heart ached for you as I read the post of your drive through the Forest and the tranquility that it brought to you during such a stressful time. I do hope that you enjoy San Antonio and the special time with your daughter.

      Delete
  4. Sue, you give me hope for the southern states. I / we love boondocking, the peace and quiet. The lack of people and the abundance of God's blessings through nature.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nan there are several primitive campgrounds in the Florida National Forests which are from $4 - $6 a night with the Senior Pass. They range from pit toilets to bath houses, some with water bibs and some with water pumps. There are even a couple with a dump station. Most campgrounds have a 14 day max stay however a couple of others range from 30 days to 180 days. I have enjoyed cruising around checking the various campgrounds out. I am quite happy we have chosen this area this season...the weather has been wonderful Cell service as well as internet is a problem in areas although Verizon seems to have a corner on the market

      Delete
  5. Hi Sue and Bob! I noticed that you've become followers of my blog so I popped over here to take a look at yours. I started reading and had to keep reading until I'd read every post. What a road you've been down! I noticed that you haven't posted lately. I hope all is well.

    Your photographs are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your greeting and shout out to us. Yes, all is well with us and Bob continues his stroke recovery. As far as the posts into my blog not recent, I am afraid that posting became a bit more of a duty at the end of last season and I simply fell off the blogland train. You have stirred a small ember once again and just possibly it is a sign that I should get back into my writing. We are traveling through Arizona this winter with the goal of doing more boondocking. I found your blog the other day as I was doing some research about an area. Thank you for all the information you have published for all of us that endure more challenges.. Happy New Year

      Delete
  6. Bob & Sue, hopefully you enjoyed your time in Arizona, this past winter; I love it in Lake Havasu City area! I just finished reading, and enjoyed each and every blog entry you posted; I'll look forward to reading any entries you post, in the future. I pray Bob's health has continued to improve and yours is good. Blessings, Lynn (your fellow blogger of Life with Lynnie. Just so you know, I live in Windsor, Ontario, Canada... across the river from Detroit, Michigan, USA)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Bob & Sue, I just finished reading and enjoying each and every entry you posted; I'm looking forward to reading any entries you post in the future. I pray Bob's health is continuing to improve and pray you are doing well, Sue. Blessings, Lynn (your fellow blogger of Life with Lynnie, who lives in Windsor, Ontario, Canada... across the river from Detroit, Michigan, USA)

    ReplyDelete

OOOPS! you almost missed the spot to tell us what is on your mind. Go ahead, leave a comment.....