Saturday, January 21, 2012

On the Road Again


Well folks,  the alignment is complete and new tires are on the coach all the way around.   I feel much better now about eliminating the hazard of a blow out.


Do you remember when we were kids and got a new pair of “PF Flyers”?   We thought we could run faster, jump higher, peel out better etc.   Well, that is how I felt yesterday as we left the tire shop and headed west on I-10.   The wind gusts were pretty high but the coach stayed right on course and I felt a great improvement in the ride and the difference in the road noise was really noticeable. 
 
Rick and Kathy from   It’s about time    helped me to understand the DOT number on the tires.   The first two numbers of the four digit number is not a day and month like I thought it was, rather it is the week of manufacture .  ( So, 4402 is the  44th week of 2002).  Thanks for pointing it out Rick.   I am sure there are others that will benefit from that little tidbit.


It sounds like winter has finally arrived in the North.   Kim, Bob’s daughter, forwarded  this picture of Richard (son in law)….sending his greetings to us.   I am sure he is happy about the snow though because he loves his snowmobile.    Reports were coming in from several member of Bob's family as to how cold it was with wind chills and blowing snow.




               DSCN0119   




I talked with my Dad who is in Northern Minnesota and they were expecting to wake up to –18 degree temperatures.   Dad, are you sure you won’t consider hopping a flight for a visit?  Just let me know and I will check the flight loads for you.


Last week while in Alabama we had a bit of a mishap.  Bob accidentally caught a beverage with his disabled right hand and it dumped all over the Blackberry.   We quickly opened it up and left the battery out hoping to salvage it.   After several days of exposure to the air, the phone decided to work…Yahoo!  Dodged another bullet.   Until yesterday.   I guess there was residual moisture left in the phone and it suddenly froze up again.   While the tires were being mounted, I headed out in search of a Sprint store.   The young man in the repair department came back to me with the phone in pieces…Ugh!   He said he thought it was probably TOAST.   We decided to make an attempt at cleaning it with denatured alcohol to see what would happen.   Unfortunately nothing.   The poor kid must have read the panicked look across my face because off he went back into their work area, got a used battery, installed it….and don’t you know it worked?   I was in total shock when he said to me there is no charge either because he couldn’t fix it.   Now tell me,  I walked in with a phone that was completely frozen and left with it in working condition.  What part of that is not fixing it????     We certainly helped the Economy in Lake Charles while we were there and the young man at Sprint…took the sting out of the expense and thanked us by not charging for the phone repair.…Life is good!  


We spent the night in Beaumont TX at one of the places referred to as RV Hell.  It was dark by the time we decided to stop and I was getting pretty tired.   The only good thing I have to say about these types of places  is full hook ups are a luxury after spending a night in the Walmart RV RESORT.    The weather here is warm but it is sure humid.   Time for us to keep trucking towards a  drier climate.


Thanks for checking up on us…have a good day!

6 comments:

  1. Now you've only got about 800 more miles to get through Texas! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Judy, thanks for the reminder...you are a peach of a gal.

      Delete
  2. You say Life is good. I say that God is good. He is watching over you two each day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kim, by all means God is Good...otherwise we would not have such a good life. I know we are in good hands.

      Delete
  3. Hi, Bob and Sue! We saw that you've joined Our Life on Wheels, so decided to spin on by. Sounds like you have taken on a major challenge with a forced change in your lives. More power to you! We pray for our RV and blogger friends, so we'll just chuck you guys on with the rest of 'em! If you are continuing west on I-10, you'll pass our little town of Benson, AZ, where there are scads of snowbirds and scads of RV parks with full hookups. If you are Escapees, or even if you aren't, we might be able to squeeze you in here for a little while -- would love to meet you. Give us a shout on email at jerry dot suzy at yahoo dot com. If you aren't Escapees (and I'd have to ask "why not?" if you aren't) we can bring you in here as an invited guest (on a self-pay basis, of course). Then we'll talk you into joining the greatest RV club in the world.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Jerry and Suzy
      I was just reading your Ode to Suzy this morning and wanted to leave a comment but we needed to hit the road so didn't have a chance to comment. My thoughts are with Suzy for her surgery tomorrow. Thanks for the invitation to the Escapees in Benson. I will definitely consider it.

      Delete

OOOPS! you almost missed the spot to tell us what is on your mind. Go ahead, leave a comment.....